This past week, I made a few fun things. First, I made the beginnings of what I hope will be a puzzle builder I can release in the Steam Workshop. It has made making puzzles in the Dark Cave so much faster. Rather than having to handwrite a ton of coordinates, my little script reads the map and figures out all the coordinates automagically. Wanna see?
class Game_Interpreter def export_holes holes =  #REGION 1 & 2 lightbridges =  #REGION 2 ONLY lanterns =  #REGION 3 barrels =  #REGION 4 torches =  #REGION 5 lightpillars =  #REGION 6 wolves =  #REGION 7 width = $game_map.width height = $game_map.height File.new("holes.txt","w") for x in 0..width for y in 0..height holes.push([x,y]) if $game_map.region_id(x,y) == 1 || $game_map.region_id(x,y) == 2 lightbridges.push([x,y]) if $game_map.region_id(x,y) == 2 lanterns.push([x,y]) if $game_map.region_id(x,y) == 3 barrels.push([x,y]) if $game_map.region_id(x,y) == 4 torches.push([x,y]) if $game_map.region_id(x,y) == 5 lightpillars.push([x,y]) if $game_map.region_id(x,y) == 6 end end File.open("holes.txt", 'w') do |file| file.write("holes\n") file.write(holes.to_s) file.write("\n") file.write("lightbridges\n") file.write(lightbridges.to_s) file.write("\n") file.write("lanterns\n") file.write(lanterns.to_s) file.write("\n") file.write("barrels\n") file.write(barrels.to_s) file.write("\n") file.write("torches\n") file.write(torches.to_s) file.write("\n") file.write("lightpillars\n") file.write(lightpillars.to_s) end puts "Finshed writing; you may exit safely now." end end
So I code the spaces with various regions, call “export_holes” in RPG Maker, and voila, the puzzle is 2/3 written for me! I’m planning to augment this even further in two directions – to first bring that number up to 100% of the puzzle automatically generated, and to second make it abstract enough for other people to use to mod the game.
Second, I’ve added the final Dark Cave puzzle element – Moveable Mirrors! Mirrors with a red base can be pushed and pulled just like pillars, and finding the right place for them can be pretty tricky.
For the pre-alpha, in addition to some small bug fixes, an additional puzzle option was enabled for about 80% of the puzzles.
- Fixed a tile passage issue in Ice Cave 1
- Activated additional puzzle options for puzzles 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14, 18, 19, 21 and 57
- Fixed a bug where a ghost would occasionally spawn in the middle of a puzzle in Ice Cave 5
- Because it is possible to reach a point where the bottom of Puzzle 4 is inaccessible, quest spawns (water bowl, ghost, and dig locations) have been removed from that section
- Various map graphics and shadow tweaks
- Typo fixes
- Edited one of the voice overs for FemStranger in the intro
Developer’s Build 0.2.0
- Changed how Dark Cave puzzles are spawned to remove the cap on possible options per slot
- Fixed a bug where Dark Cave puzzles were not playable after saving and loading – this change requires creating a new game, and is the reason for the middle number increase in the version
- Changed the graphic for the pillars found throughout the Dark Cave
- Changed the graphic for the lightbridge spawned in various Dark Cave puzzles – it still isn’t perfect, but it’s starting to head in the right direction
- Implemented Moveable Mirrors
- Depowered lightbridges now show a nearly transparent graphic to indicate where they are
- Player’s who are on a lightbridge when it expires will automatically restart the puzzle
- Fixed a bug which was causing holes in Puzzle 48 to spawn wrong
- Activated a new option for Puzzle 54