The intersection of two incredibly complicated mechanics this week – the hookshot and the crate. The hookshot can now latch onto the crate and pull it over to you! Hot damn! This adds so many possible fun mechanics to the water cave, where positioning ends up incredibly important when trying to figure out how to solve the puzzles in this environment.
Additionally, the maps are pretty much done for the Water Cave! Hurray! While there are little tweaks and stuff that can and should always be made, the core maps are all in place and it is now technically possible to reach the end of this biome. I wouldn’t recommend it though, it’s pretty gross over there. There are still a number of things to add before we leave the Water Cave – don’t expect previews of the next environment for quite some time. There are still more mechanics, 4 new puzzles, dozens of options for each puzzle slot, and a crate full of bugs to squash.
While development continues on this zone, Becca’s taken a break from making puzzle-y things to make character-y things. Vidar’s NPCs are taking shape!
Developer’s Build 0.3.3
- Added Water Cave rooms 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9
- Added all transitions within the Water Cave
- Fixed pathing issues in the Water Cave Hub, and changed the map a bit
- New Mechanic: Retractable hookshot pillars. These are just like the regular hookshot pillars except that they can be raised and lowered with switches. Pillars are only latch-onto-able when raised. Pillars can be walked over when lowered (similar to doors in this regard). The tops are even color coded for your pleasure.
- New Mechanic: Rocks. Don’t you wish there was something that could block your path and do nothing else? Well now there is. Your favorite Ice Cave rocks have made it into the Water Cave with a fresh coat of paint.
- You can now hookshot crates to pick them up. When the hookshot makes contact with the crate it will pull the crate back to you and you’ll immediately start carrying it.
- Added Puzzle 16 with one option which takes advantage of the retractable hookshot pillar mechanic
- Fixed a bug where the game did not correctly detect you had thrown a crate
- Prevented throwing the crate into certain corner tiles around water, on roof tiles, and on events. Events that are more than 1 tile tall will also prevent you from throwing the box up above them.
- Fixed a bug where the first time you changed the water level with a box in the water, its position didn’t update correctly
- Crates now remember their position when you move them around (and won’t reset position when you change the water level)
- Throwing a crate from highground to lowground, where that lowground has either no water or mid-level water, will cause the crate to “fall down” one tile further; this change means that if you throw a crate down where there is no water, and then raise the water, the crate will now have the same position as if you had thrown it when there was full water anyways. I don’t know of a better way to explain this, but it’s important.
- Throwing a crate from the highest ground in the Water Cave Hub now correctly falls an extra 3 spaces; you cannot throw “up” to this ground from any of the lower ground.
- Fixed a bug where crates would disappear after you jumped off of them
- Fixed a bug where you could jump on crates that weren’t floating
- Fixed bugs related to jumping from crate to crate
- You can no longer leave a map while holding a crate
- Fixed a bug in Puzzle 58 where lightbridges weren’t showing up
- A long time in coming: doors animate while opening and closing!
- Added Green, Yellow, Teal, Pink, and Gray bullseye switches
- Added Teal gates
- Added option 2 to puzzle 8 which takes advantage of these new colors
- Added Puzzle 24 with three options
- Added a few hookshot sound effects
- Added Groa’s shadow to the save screen