A little while back, we talked about how passing through the puzzle dungeon, exploration, timing, and days would all be revamped to serve a more fun gameplay. This patch contains the first massive step towards that iteration. Some of this may again change. In order to accommodate the most structured system of teleporting around the cave, many of the random maps have been put into the reserve bin for now. Random puzzles are still in place, but I want to make sure the teleporting all works before we add these back in.
What’s fun about this build is everything, for the first time, is hooked up. It is entirely possible to start new game and reach the end of the Boulder Cave from there. And that’s kind of cool. You’ll need to start a new game to do that, so we’re bumping this up to Build 0.5.0. Also, this build has been pushed to certain Kickstarter backers on Steam!
We’re off for a bit for the holidays – have a wonderful New Years, and we’ll see you in 2016!
Developer’s Build 0.5.0
- Designed 2 new puzzles (not yet implemented)
- Added additional puzzle exporting functions
- Added a new map
- Fixed a bug related to jumping on geysers north/south
- Fixed a bug where some load files would be corrupted depending on what puzzle option spawned
- It is now possible for all 24 citizens to be killed (rather than the 12 in the demo) – this is true even though the remaining 12 can’t be found wandering around Vidar just yet
- Consolidated some graphics related to villager death; all NPCs that die now properly show up as black and white on the continue screen
- Iteration: on reaching the end of a room in the puzzle dungeon, you’ll be given an option to either return to Vidar immediately (ending the day early) or explore any room you’ve previously visited (including the room you’re about to exit). You cannot start the next room until the next day. On returning to the cave on day 2 and after, when jumping down, rather than always starting in Ice Cave 1, you’ll be given the same menu. If, the previous day, you reached the end of the last room, then on jumping down you’ll be able to immediately teleport to the “next” room.
- As a result of the above changes, the following maps are currently disabled (don’t worry, they’ll come back!)
- Ice Cave 1b
- Ice Cave 2b
- Ice Cave 3b
- Ice Cave 3c
- Ice Cave 4
- Ice Cave 5b
- Ice Cave 6
- Dark Cave 2
- Dark Cave 3b
- Dark Cave 3c
- Dark Cave: Intro
- Dark Cave: Dog Puzzle
- Dark Cave: Music Room
- Dark Cave: Library
- Water Cave 1
- Water Cave 6
- Water Cave 7
- Water Cave 8
- Water Cave 9
- Water Cave: Hub
- Water Cave: Tide
- Relatedly, Puzzles 2, 3, 12, 13, 14, 17, 22, 23, 28, 29, 36, 37, 38, 39, 42, 43, 44, 45, and 58 are no longer accessible – but again, they’ll be back! These puzzles are no longer spawned when you start the game
- However, starting the game will now spawn all of the rest of the puzzles. Until a progress bar is implemented, expect this to take up to 5 minutes.
- It is known that the save menu is incredibly laggy. Working on it!
- Iteration: Running out of oil in the Dark Cave will not kick you out. It will, however, make it very difficult to see.
- Added text for checking the oil level in the lantern if you have no oil
- Increased default player speed slightly
- Moved the lantern to Ice Cave 5a
- Moved the hookshot to Dark Cave 5
- Removed the entrance to the Dark Cave (sorry doggy!)
- Fixed a bug where the dark torchlight would still display on returning to Vidar from the Dark Cave
- Fixed a whole slew of bugs related to NPC death
- General code clean-up; always a good thing.